How do we handle thought loops in the model? My understanding is that if we find ourselves in a thought loop some next steps would be to:
– Examine the thought loop in an unintentional model to be sure we recognize it.
– Move to an intentional model where we ask what feeling or result we want to create, thus surfacing a new T.
– Potentially put the thought/perseveration/rumination into the C-Line and examine our T and F in a new model with the thought loop in the C-line.
The model I came up with is:
C: Mother says in phone call: “I joined Self-Coaching Scholars.”
T: My mom doesn’t have boundaries.
A: Held back feelings of what I really felt, which was that she has no regard for boundaries; Withdrew, didn’t say anything during phone call; Avoided conflict; Wasn’t honest about my feelings/reaction.
R: I was creating an emotional boundary between me and my mother.
– Does that R above make sense?
– Would you move on to the steps noted above, i.e. make sure you’re aware of the thought loop, create an intentional model, try a model with the thought loop in the C-line?